Monday, May 2, 2011

Bird nests....and such

I made this little nest for April's YOE ornament...

I wanted it to look camouflaged like a real nest would. I crocheted the nest using 2 types of yarn held together.
Then I wove in beads, tinsel, embroidery thread, feathers, scraps of muslin and even tufts of rug fiber.


I whip stitched it around a pretty branch I found covered in lichen.
I really LOVE it. This photo doesn't show how pretty it is!
If you click on the photo, it will enlarge




I used some teeny wooden eggs and painted them to go in it.




Since the other nest is in my foyer, I made a teeny one using just something I made's tutorial.

It is small (not quite an 1 inch across) so I can't get a good photo of it with my camera....but here it is...




and here it is on my YOE tree...cute!



Then, I crocheted a nesting material bag and filled it up with dryer lint, yarn and feathers.

I hung it on the fence where birds sit between feeding and taking baths....




I'm pleased to say that the bird's are flocking to our yard this year. .maybe we'll have some real nests soon....keeping my fingers crossed!

2 comments:

jillytacy said...

I still need to put out my nesting materials. I haven't done that yet. I'm so excited for Melinda to get her package so I can post pictures. I just got my package from Melinda today but haven't opened it yet.

Lindsay-ann said...

Your nests look lovely Val. The tiny wire one would look good as a necklace. Love your flower fairy too. The birds in your garden are very lucky this year.
Lindsay
x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...