Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What a life.....


Another dog post? Really?

YES!

Okay, so Saturday our heat broke. (Always on a weekend, right?)

Lucky for us we don't live up north but even so, the house was a chilly 50 something degrees and everyone was cold...even the dogs and cats!

Dean lit up a fire in the fireplace and I put the dog's beds in front of it.

Within SECONDS both dogs were happily toasting themselves in front of the fire! They even brought a few toys to share the warmth with.




Don't they look cute!


We are so blessed to have these happy creatures in our lives.
To be honest, we don't really spoil our dogs.
We play with them, we feed them and we love them. We take care of their boo-boos and make sure they go to the vet for their checkups.
They play chase with a ball and love to play with bubbles (saving that for another post)

No fancy clothes, no fancy foods (Ginger barfs), no fancy dog houses, no fancy collars or leashes. Just dog stuff.

EXCEPT.


EXCEPT once a year when I make special dog bones for them.
Usually only at Christmas...because Santa can't make'em like I can!

That being said, for any of you out there that want a good dog bone recipe, read on.
And yes, I tasted them and they really ARE good!


I got the recipe out of a 1985 Woman's Day magazine and use it EVERY YEAR!

It is entitled Jason's Doggie Biscuits. According to the article, Jason was an 8 year old in 1985.....hmmmm....I wonder if he still makes these?

I usually make 2 batches of these bones and give some away as gifts for my friends who have pooches!

Jason's Doggie Biscuits

I use a giant dog bone shaped cookie cutter but any shape will do.
Also, I make these at night because they need to harden in the oven.


Preheat oven to 300 degrees

Ingredients:

31/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rye flour
2 cups bulgar (cracked wheat)
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
4 teaspoons salt
1 envelope active dry yeast
1/4 cup very warm water
3 cups chicken broth (I make turkey broth from our Thanksgiving turkey and freeze it to use)
1 egg, slightly beathen with 1 teaspoon milk added (don't skip this step, it makes the bones pretty.)

Mix first 7 ingredients in mixing bowl
Dissolve yeast in the water and add to bowl of dry ingredients
Add your broth and mix until a dough forms. I use a dough hook because it is thick.
Roll out until 1/4 or 1/2 thick. Use 1/4 for little dogs and 1/2 for big dogs.
Cut out your bones and lay on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

Bake for 45 minutes and leave in oven overnight*

If making thick bones, you'll need to bake for an hour.

In the morning, if the bones aren't hard, re-bake for about 15 minutes and let sit in oven until it cools!

8 comments:

Very Mary said...

That is one of the best pictures ever! I love that they didn't want their toys to be chilly!

gin said...

I love the picture too! But I beg to differ: Your dogs and cats ARE spoiled!! With a warm cozy fire, lovingly made doggie biscuits, blankies, and the list goes on and on.... they are one special, happy group of pets!!

laterg8r said...

sweet pic :D

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Cute picture.

Your doggies aren't spoiled. They are just well loved.

Ruhammie said...

What a great recipe! Yet another I must add to my binder of recipes. Thanks for sharing a great dog story and recipe!

Carla said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and your sweet comment. Funny about the heat. Ours has been out, off and on, for a week. Only, we don't have a fireplace. :( And, my dogs (and cat) aren't spoiled either. :)

Elaine said...

Love the fireplace, great photo. I think you have next year's Christmas card photo.

I think you can never spoil your pets enough. I hope mine are spoiled.

Unknown said...

the dogs are so darn cute, it is hard to resist isnt it?....you have quite the menagerie...just like someone else I know...ehemmmmm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...